Talk casually to a layman, “Do you suffer from depression, the answer will be NO”.
Most of the time, people are unaware that they can be attacked by depression and may just ignore the symptoms. Not that one is deliberately trying to, but most of the times are simply unaware of it.
Depression seems to be a big word and of-course not to be taken lightly. But mostly it is associated with
- No Mood
- Feeling low or lonely
- Giving up of activities
- Suicidal thoughts.
The above mentioned can be points of depression, where in someone in that state needs medications and counseling immediately. But on a lighter note, a look at our daily lifestyle would indicate depression, not to what the word says, but yes, it is a symptom which needs to be addressed or else can lead to adverse effects.
Some of the Daily life schedule or routine to be cautious of:
- Feelings of Lethargy: Many times we hear people saying, “I am just too tired, just got back from work, just wish to sleep or take a nap. No doubt, body is tired of the whole day work, but does it mean you wish to sleep. Some also say, Oh I have grown older now, but are you that old, that body just gives up. Analyze what’s causing the tiredness. Mainly it’s what the mind is telling you, because the mind is completely blocked and just can’t think anymore and demands for rest.
- Fights / Arguments: Now-a-days, arguments are the need of the day. Everyone wishes to put their point across and convince others they are right. The only point to note here is whether earlier the person was argumentive nature or has it recently begun. Of recently then necessary actions needs to be taken.
- Fault Finding: Finding faults in small issues which can be ignored, is another symptom,. Something is terribly wrong. Sometimes, even though a person is meticulous, few faults can be ignored, but few of them brood over it.
- Addiction: These days drinking and smoking has become a menu of an event. Without it a party would not be called a party. But few drink, few don’t. The few who do, please take a note, why and the quantity taken. Not only referring to these addictions, but continuously munching a packet of biscuits or chips or chocolates or drinking Tea or Coffee. All signs of something.
I am sure; all of us go through these points, sometime in our life. Mostly it is ignored saying,”Its part and parcel these days”.
But the underlying cause is “STRESS”. Most of the time, pressure at work or rather work performance plays an important role for us and in this competitive world, no one wishes to be left out, so it is a part of the daily life. But if it is a killer, we need to kill it before it kills us.
We all know, “Prevention is better than cure”, but this has just remained a phrase, not really thought of.
Few points to ponder on:
- Be Aware: Very important is to “Be Aware”. Be aware there is a problem, or else nothing will work. You need to know that you are stressed, you are carrying it with you as a baggage and it needs to be let off. Once you are aware and you accept it, recovery works.
- Activity: Stress cannot reduce because it is required to be productive. Simply to get rid of stress, get into a strenuous activity. Once you are back, instead of drooling over the TV, go for a walk or GYM or swimming or Sports activity. Mind is relaxed. It should not be a weekend activity, but a daily activity. Before you say impossible, think, do we eat only on weekends or regularly, then why can’t an activity be taken up regularly.
- Communicate: One thing forgotten long ago and hidden is communicating. There is no communication happening. Share your thoughts, ideas, and wishes, let someone know how you feel. Probably they may come up with an idea, which will solve your problem. But required here is to be open minded.
- Delegate: Very important is to not be “One man Show”. Learn the art of delegating work. Shared work reveals better productivity and reduces load off one man’s shoulder. Instead of bursting when the pressure is too high, delegate at the first instant, everything would be running smoothly then.
- Take a Break: All are eligible for a break. The company won’t close down if you go on a leave for a week or 10 days. Hence communication and delegation is important. Being away from work is important as you as a person needs time for self.
- Planning: The key word everyone forgets is planning. Office and schools provides a planner, but they are only meant as decorative pieces to be showcased. Use it on a daily basis. At least you can work on a schedule than just round the clock.
- Meditate: Lastly meditate. The mind needs to relax, just like the body. More stressed the mind, more tired the body would be and lesser the productivity.
Remember Health is in our hands. If we don’t take care of it now, when symptoms are low, later when it’s time to enjoy the retired life, we will enjoy the medical expenses and indirectly cause trouble to our near and dear ones.
Take charge now, before it’s too late.